Do I need an SSL certificate for a website?

This is a good starting point

Do I need an SSL certificate for a website?

Postby johnasthlon » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:32 am

Hello
It is technically a foundation, a nonprofit organization website, which will allow people to make donations for the cause. Is purchasing an SSL certificate for this site a good idea?
If i have to purchase then which one is better for such a site?
https://www.thesslstore.com/wildcardssl-certificates.aspx
https://www.thesslstore.com/extended-validation-ssl-certificates.aspx
johnasthlon

Re: Do I need an SSL certificate for a website?

Postby jeffcm » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:10 am

SSL certificate encrypts and protects the data transferring between client's computer and server. It is good to have SSL installed for websites which handle transactions, personal info, and membership access.
jeffcm
CWH Staff

Postby lim86 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:49 pm

SSL certificates are part of the Secure Socket Layer (SSL) protocol. This protocol was implemented to provide a secure method for transferring encrypted data between a client and a server. An SSL certificate is a necessary part of the SSL protocol and is required to create a secure connection.
lim86

Postby tomrichards » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:16 am

Hi
SSL is about creating trust. Trust that your communications are not intercepted and, in the case of higher verification, assurance that you communicating with a trustworthy party.The Internet has successfully created many new global business opportunities for enterprises conducting online commerce. However, that growth has also attracted fraudsters and cyber criminals. Today's fastest growing threat is Phishing..

This is where a fraudulent web site impersonating a legitimate businesses attempts to woe unsuspecting visitors into divulging personal information. The increasing awareness to this problem has presented an opportunity to E-commerce providers to capitalise on consumer fears by displaying trust indicators. Just like the real world, people need to be confident before they proceed down an unknown path.
tomrichards

Return to General Help