How much bandwidth do I need?

This is the place to ask before signup up!
Anyone can post

How much bandwidth do I need?

Postby Teo » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:10 pm

Figuring how much bandwidth needed depends on many different factors such as the size of your pages, how many images, and whether or not people will download files from your site. Our most basic plan starts you off with 10GB of bandwidth a month for your online growing business. We will tell you most of our clients use between 1 to 5 GB's of bandwidth a month, so 10GB's included into your plan should be more than enough. But if you find that 10GB is not enough, you can upgrade to a higher plan at anytime.
Teo
CWH Staff

Re: How much bandwidth do I need?

Postby Jorge » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:26 pm

Question: You advertise unlimited bandwidth for some of your hosting options, is this real? or are there hidden clauses about bandwidth?... or what if my web app consumes over and above your bandwidth estimation, do I have the risk of my hosting account being cancelled? or you really provide unlimited bandwidth?
Jorge

Re: How much bandwidth do I need?

Postby Henry » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:06 pm

Hi Jorge,

Yes, we do provide unlimited bandwidth on some of our plans. If the plan has unlimited bandwith it means that there is no limit as to how much bandwidth you use on the plan. If you are on a plan that has unlimited bandwidth, we will not cancel or suspend your account if you use alot of bandwidth because there is no limit on bandwidth.

On the other hand, If your account is using too much resource on the server, then yes we will disable the account until the application that is using too much resource is removed from the server. This is nessessary because if the account is using too much resources , it will slow the server down and affect all the other customer that is on the server. So to maintain optimal performance for all the other clients on the server, the account that is using too much resource will be disable.

If you are planning to stream videos on your website (which use a lot of bandwidth), you will need to go with our VPS plans instead of our shared hosting plans that has unlimited bandwidth. why? Because streaming videos on your website uses a lot of server resources and it will slow down all the other clients in you are on a shared hosting plan. If you host with our VPS plans, we will provide you with guarantee resourses on the server so that you can stream videos with good performance and not have to worry about other clients on the server slowing your website down.

Here is the link to our VPS plans: http://www.canadianwebhosting.com/vps.asp

Here is the link to our shared hosting plans: http://www.canadianwebhosting.com/domain_hosting.asp

Below are the resource usage restictions on our shared hosting plans:

Taking up more than 20% system resources for more than 90 seconds. Numerous activities can cause this such as CGI scripts, FTP, PHP, HTTP, MySQL, etc
-Running unattended standalone server side daemons such as IRCD
-Running any scripts (web spider) which indexes websites
-Running any BitTorrent application, tracker, or client. You may link to torrents off-site, but may not host or store
-Running any file-sharing/peer-to-peer activities
-Running any game servers such as Counter Strike, Half Life, BattleField 1942, etc
-Running any cronjobs less than 15 minute intervals
-Accounts found to be exceeding the 50,000 inode limit will automatically be removed from our backup system to avoid over-usage. Every file (webpage, image file, email, etc) on your account uses up 1 inode. The use of more than 250,000 inodes on any shared account may potentially result in a warning first, and if no action is taken future suspension

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

You can contact us by email at: sales@canadianwebhosting.com
Our online live chat or phone our sales line at: 1-888-821-7888 (We are open from 6:30am to 6pm, 7 days a week and 365 days a year. )
(Our tech support line is: 1-877-871-7888 and opens 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and 365 days a year.)

Henry
Customer Support
Henry

Return to Pre-Sales Questions