NHL Free Agent Frenzy

NHL Free Agent Frenzy

Postby Kings » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:39 pm

The NHL free agent market opened up today and Mike Gillis did not disapoint!

Dan Hamhuis - 6 years @ $27M ($4.5M/year)
Manny Malhotra - 3 years @ $7.5M ($2.5M/year)
Jeff Tambellini - 1 year @ ????
Joel Perrault - 1 year @ $510K

I think the Hamhuis signing is definitely not bad considering how much the other D were going for on the market (ie. Z. Michalek @ $4M/year etc.). I was hoping we could get him for $4M or $4.25M but no complaining here. The Malhotra signing seems a bit high now at $2.5M/year but I thought the same thing last year when we signed Samuelsson. I guess we'll have to see.

Three of those players have BC connections: Hamhuis is from Smithers, BC. Malhotra's wife is from Vancouver Island and Tambellini grew up in Port Moody and has been around the Canucks organization growing up.

Based on our signings today it looks like Kevin Bieksa's time with the Canucks is done. We had around $10M starting today but looks like we used up close to $8M already and we still haven't gone to arbitration with Raymond yet (expected).

Looking forward to October now!!
Cheers,
Kings
Canadian Web Hosting
Kings
CWH Staff

Re: NHL Free Agent Frenzy

Postby Kings » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:41 pm

Oh yeah.. and what's up with Jokinen going back to the flames??? Are you Jokinen me?? lol.. :lol:
Cheers,
Kings
Canadian Web Hosting
Kings
CWH Staff

Postby Henry » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:12 pm

GO Canucks GO !

hahaha yeah that is pretty messed up, what is up with that :?

lol what an awsome joke, are you going to become a comedian soon ? :lol:
Henry

Postby Teo » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:10 pm

NHL REJECTS KOVALCHUK CONTRACT FOR SALARY CAP CIRCUMVENTION.

Another crazy deal! Wonder why they approve the Hossa 15 year deal but not this one; then seem fairly similar.

=====
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=328025

The NHL has rejected Ilya Kovalchuk's 17-year, $102 million contract with the New Jersey Devils on the grounds that it circumvents the NHL's salary cap.

Kovalchuk was slated to earn $95 million over the first 10 years of the deal and then just $7 million over the last seven seasons. That would translate to an annual cap hit of $6 million per year.

The 27-year-old rejected a $101 million, 12-year extension from the Atlanta Thrashers before being dealt to the Devils in February.

Kovalchuk had 41 goals and 44 assists last season, including 10 goals and 17 assists with the Devils.
=====
Teo
CWH Staff

Postby Alan » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:07 pm

That was a crazy deal. Those GM's really know how to work the system....too bad the deal got axed, what now?
Alan

Postby Henry » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:11 pm

OMG 17 years lol I think it would of been a big mistake if the deal went through.

Look at rick Depietro 15 years deal and what happen to him now ?
Henry

Postby findahost.co » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:06 am

Wow I wish I had those paychecks...wonder what you'd do with 4.5 million/year!?
findahost.co

Return to The Lounge