phpmyadmin configuration

General help with installation, scripts, etc....

phpmyadmin configuration

Postby mahks » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:46 pm

I would like to change the option:
$cfg['PropertiesIconic'] = TRUE;

But, cannot find the config file,

EDIT: Found an option to change this via the settings tab in the localhost panel of phpMyAdmin
BUT, the change is only effective for the current session. Is there a way to make it permanent?

Documentation refers to "create_tables.sql" in "./scripts" but this directory does not seem to be accessible.

Do I need to install my own copy of phpMyAdmin on my domain?
If so will one copy be able to access all my databases?
(I am on a shared server)
mahks

Re: phpmyadmin configuration

Postby Ray » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:46 am

The phpMyAdmin configuration file in a shared server can be accessed only by administrators. Moreover, the changes made to phpmyadmin affects the server as a whole and we can't modify the parameters domain-wise.

Can you let us know where do you find trouble with phpMyAdmin or its features ? Please shoot a mail to support with all the required details and we shall take care of it.
Ray
Ray

Postby mahks » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:13 pm

Thanks for the reply Ray,

The trouble I have with the new version of phpMyAdmin, is the text labels attached to the icons on a browse page.
The problem is they take up half the page and they are totally unnecessary.
For some reason the new version has them on by default. They can be turned off as mentioned above, but it would be nice to "save" that setting (as well as others)
mahks

Postby pagestep » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:17 pm

mahks wrote:[...]
The trouble I have with the new version of phpMyAdmin, is the text labels attached to the icons on a browse page.
The problem is they take up half the page and they are totally unnecessary.
For some reason the new version has them on by default. They can be turned off as mentioned above, but it would be nice to "save" that setting (as well as others)

I agree; I'd like to see the text descriptors removed also.
Dirk
pagestep

Postby Ray » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:15 am

Please create a support ticket for this phpmyadmin issue with the domain logins and with the steps to re-create the issue as well. We shall check and reply back in the ticket. :)
Ray
Ray

Postby pagestep » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:25 pm

Ray wrote:Please create a support ticket for this phpmyadmin issue with the domain logins and with the steps to re-create the issue as well. We shall check and reply back in the ticket. :)

At least for the icon issue, this does not require access to anyone's specific account, and if such settings can only be applied globally, there should be no need to access anyone's account for this.

To reproduce in any account:
- phpmyadmin (PMA)
- select a db
- browse any table
Functions for each row (before the actual fields) are shown as icons and text.

To show icons only:
1) go to Home
2) Select More settings
3) Select Main frame
4) Select Browse mode
5) Change Iconic table operations from Both to Yes

mahks?
Do you have anything to add to my comments here? Also, you may be able to install your own PMA, but you'd likely only be able to manage dbs for the account it's installed for. To manage dbs for all accounts, the only way I could think of is to set all your dbs to be remotely accessible:
- go into cPanel
- In the Databases section, select Remote MySQL
Enter the IP addresses of the servers which are to be allowed to manage the dbs you want. (For me, I needed to access the current account's db from another account on the same server, so the IP is the same as the current account, but still has to be entered.)
Once the remote access stuff is done, you'd have to configure PMA to access those dbs.
pagestep

Postby flower » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:51 am

I am new to this forums........
flower

Postby pagestep » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:40 am

I've gone through the trouble-ticket process and CWH is unwilling to change this system-wide setting for PMA (they suggested getting a VPS or dedicated hosting account, or setting up individual instances of PMA for each account).

This is a rather unfortunate - and, in my opinion, very unnecessary - circumstance. These action text descriptors use up a lot of horizontal screen real estate, and the icon mouse-over bubble help pops up exactly the same text. I think it's very likely that the average PMA user would rather not have to do that much horizontal scrolling while managing their database(s).

If anyone feels CWH should re-visit this issue, let them know!
pagestep

Postby pagestep » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:22 pm

I've figured out a way to remove the action text descriptors in PMA, but it does require a local/separate web server and an instance of PMA on it that provides access to its settings. I have a two local development servers (one LAMP, one WAMP), and configured PMA on the LAMP server. Steps required:

1) In my CWH account's cPanel, I've added my local connection's IP address to Remote MySQL (this has to be done for each CWH hosting account);
2) In my local LAMP server's PMA configuration file, I've added all my CWH accounts to the "Server(s) configuration" section. I left all settings at PMA's defaults, except the following which may have an impact on remote use:
Code: Select all
  $cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type']    = 'config';
  $cfg['Servers'][$i]['connect_type'] = 'tcp';
  $cfg['Servers'][$i]['host']         = 'CWH.account.domain.name';
  $cfg['Servers'][$i]['user']         = 'CWH account name';
  $cfg['Servers'][$i]['password']     = 'CWH account password';

I can now use my local PMA and, from its Home screen, can select whichever CWH account - plus my local MySQL servers - I want from the "Server:" pull-down (near the top right in v2.x and near the top middle in v3.x).

Notes:
- A side benefit to doing all this is, of course, that I now have full control over PMA's configuration and no longer have to pester CWH tech support for PMA issues.
- Both of my PMA versions are a bit older than CWH's, but both work fine on the CWH-hosted databases, and I suspect there are only minor differences in the newer 3.x versions.
- WAMP's system tray facilities do not provide access to PMA's configuration. For my WAMP setup, I had to edit PMA's configuration file manually (of course, this is generally true of LAMP setups).
- To access a MySQL server on a different computer on my LAN, I had to ensure that the MySQL user account and privileges for the remote computer were set.
- I messed around with a number of things on both my LAMP and WAMP MySQL servers and the LAMP's PMA to get things working. I may have missed noting something here, so if you're trying to do this and encounter issues, let me know.

Hope this is of help to others; enjoy!
pagestep

Postby mahks » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:49 pm

Thanks pagestep, this solved the problem.
mahks

Postby pagestep » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:50 am

FWIW: I've been doing some more experimentation with PMA and found that the default for $cfg['PropertiesIconic'] had its default changed from true to 'both' in version 3.4.0 (CWH is currently at 3.4.9):
http://wiki.phpmyadmin.net/pma/Config#PropertiesIconic

I have not been able to find any reasoning for this change, and if I were CWH, I'd revert this setting to the way it was in previous PMA versions to ensure a modicum of continuity for existing clients.
pagestep

Return to General Help