file permissions -- maybe a stupid question

General help with installation, scripts, etc....

file permissions -- maybe a stupid question

Postby sjsorell » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:48 pm

Hi! I'm a bit new at this and was wondering about file permissions in the file manager. I'm working with Joomla and sometimes I can't write anything because permissions dont allow it. If I allow all permissions on everything (world read/write/execute) in my public_html will that mean that a guest can edit all those files? Or does it mean my "world" (those I want to allow to edit stuff) can edit anything?
If the first is true how can I make joomla have permissions to edit everything?

Thanks
sjsorell

Postby kevin » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:54 pm

Hi,

You should not need to edit the permissions on files/folders. Did you use the autoinstaller within Cpanel for Joomla installation?
kevin
CWH Staff

Postby sjsorell » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:13 pm

Yup, I used the autoinstaller but whenever I need to, lets say, write changes to configuration.php it comes up with an error that the file is unwriteable. So I go and allow world write permissions to that file and things save ok. I change them back after. Is it a problem with Joomla?

Scott
sjsorell

Joomla/Mambo WYSIWYG editor

Postby sjsorell » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:16 pm

hey,
Ok here are some things I found out: configuration.php is automatically set to be unwriteable because otherwise it'd be a security risk. You have to change it back and forth if you're interested in security.
The other problem I was having was actually with the WYSIWYG editor in Joomla. The browser kept giving me errors saying "access denied." I found info in another forum:

hi again,
well, i ran through this posting in another forum:

Why my Joomla/Mambo WYSIWYG editor is not working and don't allow me to either edit or save?

This is an old issue with all Mambo/Joomla driven sites installed via Fantastico. By default your domain name is set in the configuration.php file without the www. prefix and this is what makes WYSIWYG editor not working.

The WYSIWYG editor can be fixed by opening your configuration.php and replacing the bold text

$mosConfig_livesite= 'yourdomainname.com';

to:
$mosConfig_livesite= 'www.yourdomainname.com';

Guess what! it works!
Spread the Word!
miguel

I tried it out and it solved the tinymce editor errors I was getting! Could you pass this fix onto fantastico people if they don't know about it? I don't know why it is an old issue but it seems like it could be a quick fix. Thanks for your help!

Scott
sjsorell

Postby kevin » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:05 pm

Thanks for the update. I'll forward it to them. You might want to check their forums too.

http://www.netenberg.net/forum/viewforu ... dcb728a8b6
kevin
CWH Staff

Return to General Help