WordPress Upgrades

This is a good starting point

WordPress Upgrades

Postby Cricket » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:10 pm

I'm considering using Fantatico to install WordPress.

I have no experience using external databases or phpMyAdmin.

Is an installation using Fantastico close enough to the one recommended (and assumed) by WordPress that I'll be able to use their instructions for backing up, upgrading, and customizing, without confusion?

Thanks!

Cricket
Cricket

Postby randy » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:32 am

Hello,

Yes, you can install WordPress using Fantastico. You will be able to customize your application and backup the database; and upgrade the installation when there is new version available with Fantastico.

All normal WordPress functions will be available in a WordPress installation through Fantastico.

If you have further questions, please let us know.
randy

Postby Cricket » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:54 am

That didn't quite answer the question I intended to ask.

Does the Fantastico installation do things the same way that WordPress recommends for a manual installation? Are the file locations the same? Will I be able to edit the wp-config file? Will I be able to add plugins and learn as I go, or would I have to wait for Fantastico?
Cricket

Next question

Postby Cricket » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:06 pm

I went ahead and used Fantastico to install WordPress. I'm now doing the Upgrade available through it via

onebit.ca/wp/wp-admin/update-core.php .

(I hadn't expected an upgrade option from within the program. Nice!)

What is the Host Name? I've tried

onebit.ca/wp, and several variations.

Thanks!

Cricket

PS I got the "You can't post URLs because you're too new here" message.
Cricket

Scratch the previous post

Postby Cricket » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:42 pm

Previous post was written quickly, when the "simple" upgrade didn't work, and probably didn't give enough details.

This isn't a WordPress problem, it's where WordPress and Fantastico meet. They use different words to describe what may or may not be the same thing.

I tried the Upgrade feature within Wordpress, from 2.7 to 2.7.1 . It asked for hostname, username and password. I had recorded everything during the installation, and tried every combination I could think of, but,...

I'm going to read up on a manual installation for now, but there's still a chance you can answer my questions easily, so I'll leave them here.

Information recorded during installation with Fantastico:

directory
admin username and password
admin nickname
admin email
site name
description

Fantastico then gave me:

MySQL database and MySQL user (but no password)
Admin Link

Then I tried the upgrade from within WordPress , and was asked for:

hostname
username
password

I tried every variation I could think of, including the ftp name and password. I found on WordPress that the hostname is often "localhost", so tried that as well.

I didn't record a password for the MySQL account, so doubt one was given.

Any ideas? In the meantime, I'll read up on manual installs.

Thanks,
Cricket
Cricket

Postby scott » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:34 am

Hello,

Yes, the Fantastico installation do things the same way that WordPress recommends for a manual installation.

Once the installation is completed, you can edit the config file or add plugins from the admin section of the wordpress.

The details that you need to configure Wordpress are as follows:

Host Name: localhost

For database, you can create a new database from the cPanel interface(http://www.canadianwebhosting.com/flash ... mysql.html)
Make sure to assign a database user to it.

You can then use those database details to configure wordpress.
scott

Return to General Help