WildCard SSL's

General help with installation, scripts, etc....

WildCard SSL's

Postby vbaker » Fri May 14, 2010 11:18 am

I am trying to generate a CSR for my site and the SSL provider says the CSR in invalid because the "host" needs to have * in the name. The CSR I generate will not be accepted by our SSL certificate provider. Any idea how to generate a wildcard CSR for a wildcard SSL certificate?
vbaker

Re: WildCard SSL's

Postby jeffcm » Fri May 14, 2010 3:30 pm

Hi,

I think you may be missing the dot after the * in the name.
For generating wildcard CSR, you will need to add *. in front of your host name. For example, *.mydomain.com
You can use the wildcard CSR only for wildcard SSL certificate. You may want to check your SSL certificate provider for the specific Wildcard SSL.
jeffcm
CWH Staff

Postby vbaker » Mon May 17, 2010 12:05 pm

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for the reply. I understand we require an * in front of the host name. However there is no way to type in the * infront of the host or website when generating a CSR. The company who has issued our Wildcard SSL will not accept the CSR as it doesnt include the host as a wildcard. I am curious to find out where we determine if our website supports wildcard ssl... any assistance you can provide will be welcome. I do know in the past companies had to issue a CSR manually for us. Would this be a possibility?
vbaker

Postby vbaker » Mon May 17, 2010 2:00 pm

Thank you for your reply.
I understand you require a * infront of the host name. However there is no place to add a * to the websites name when requesting the CSR. Can you assit in providing instructions. I recall last time our provider had to generate a wildcard SSL for us directly. Is this a possibility? Thank you!
vbaker

Postby jeffcm » Wed May 19, 2010 3:20 pm

Can you let us know what steps you were taking to generate the CSR?
You can also call or email our support to generate the CSR for your account with us.
jeffcm
CWH Staff

Return to General Help