ok so my website died ? what the heck.

General help with installation, scripts, etc....

ok so my website died ? what the heck.

Postby jls » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:52 pm

"There is no website configured at this address"

i saw the previous topic with this as its title but it's not to do with me. my site was working fine a few hours ago and now it is down. ftp and cpanel access is dead. telephone customer service is down. live support is down for tech support. so i'm posting this here and also taking a ticket. i have a dedicated ip address. perhaps you changed it and didnt update my dns?

my site: http://www.westernshore.ca

-jon
jls

Postby jls » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:00 pm

ok this is the weirdest thing. the site is viewable from other people's pc's. it must be a dns thing. meh.. i'll try and do some things locally.
jls

Postby jls » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:17 pm

got it. i don't know what the cause was, but after an ipconfig release / renew it's all good.
jls

Postby bcjewel » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:52 pm

I am having the exact same problem with my site at www.scrapbookingswede.com. After some investigating, it looks like the name server is sending out our OLD IP address, which is "happily" propogating throughout the world... leading everyone to an invalid website. For some reason, the backup nameserver has the correct IP address, but the primary nameserver is wrong. I also have in trouble tickets for this problem.
bcjewel

Postby Rick » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:03 pm

My site has done the same thing www.ivf.ca . What is going on?
Rick

Postby Rick » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:51 pm

jls wrote:got it. i don't know what the cause was, but after an ipconfig release / renew it's all good.

How do you do an "ipconfig release / renew"?

BTW, I still see the error message when I click your URL.
Rick

Postby jls » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:04 am

i did that on my local machine and it must have flushed the dns cache. that was my intention, at least. you can do this by going to *(on a windows xp box) start menu->run->cmd

then type ipconfig /release
press enter
then type ipconfig /renew

this only fixes a local dns problem rather than something that someone else may have.
jls

Postby elrin » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:08 am

I too had the same problem with my website and mailserver. I can access it now again after doing the ipconfig release /renew.

However, not a lot of visitors to my site will know that they have to do this little renew trick... So it is a solution to me (who know about the forums etc.), but not a solution for any visitors to my site.

Is this going to fix itself over time as the correct DNS _eventually_ propagates itself out? How long will this take?

How long can I expect people to not being able to access the website and/or read their E-mail?

I also found a bit of a flaw in CWH's support system workflow:
If not already registered on the forums or at the support site, and a problem like this prevents some-one from being able to read their E-mail, there is no way to post about the problem or even get a support ticket! Well, except via some temporary hotmail address or so, but that still leaves you relatively high and dry. Leaves you with using the telephone, but this kind of problem seems to _allways_ happen on Sundays or after hours...
So those of you lurking without being registered, do so before you hit a snag!
elrin

Postby kevin » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:01 pm

There was a dns issue over the weekend that was causing sites to resolve on their old ip address.
kevin
CWH Staff

Postby Cricket » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:21 am

It's always a good idea to have an email address on a separate system, for emergency support and CIRA stuff. If there's a problem here,... Not that it's very often, but if you're going to have a backup system, it may as well be a good one.
Cricket

Return to General Help