Google SiteMaps

General help with installation, scripts, etc....

Google SiteMaps

Postby kaye » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:09 am

Hello I'm attempting to configure the Google Sitemaps Generator and to do that I need to run a python script on the server. Is that possible to do with just the basic plan, I know I can't SSH in or anything but is there another way to set it up.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Kaye
kaye

Postby kevin » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:19 pm

Kaye,

Do you need to do anything in shell to run that Google python script or can it be done via the web? Does it need a cron job?
kevin
CWH Staff

Postby kaye » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:34 pm

I don't think it needs to be in an SSH or anything that's just the only thing I've experience with (and only a little at that)

There's just a command line I'm supposed to run

python sitemap_gen.py --config

Is it possible to run commands from cpanel? Can't say I know what a cron job is (I'll be looking it up in a few)

Kaye
kaye

Postby kevin » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:25 pm

I checked the documentation for Google Sitemaps and according to section #4 at https://www.google.com/webmasters/sitem ... rator.html
, you do need SSH access.

SSH2 access is offered on Starter packages and higher.
To get access, just login to AMC control panel at:

https://canadianwebhosting.com/login.asp

then click Accounts -> SSH access
kevin
CWH Staff

Google Sitemaps

Postby wkelly » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:32 pm

Hello!

I recently ran into the same sort of issue you're having and found that some of the web based sitemap generators worked fine for my needs. The XML generated is pretty simple to read, so a quick review of the results from one of these web based services will likely yield enough information to know whether this is a viable option for you.

A search on google for "site map generator" or something similar will turn up a number of free services! When you upload the sitemap to google, google will verify it, so you can be sure that everything is working properly.

I hope this helps!

Will Kelly
wkelly

Return to General Help