First Canadian Hockey Team with Cheerleaders

First Canadian Hockey Team with Cheerleaders

Postby Kings » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:50 pm

Did anyone catch this last night during the Edmonton Oilers and Toronto Maple Leafs game? The Oilers have a new dance/cheerleading team called the Octane. Seems weird to me to see cheerleaders in a hockey rink. What do you guys think? Funny picture with the guy looking "backwards" :lol:

Oilers cheerleaders not that high Octane

EDMONTON - Much of the controversy surrounding the Octane seemed like a bunch of hot air.

The Edmonton Oilers introduced the first ever cheer team for a Canadian-based NHL team on Tuesday — the Octane — when they took on the Toronto Maple Leafs at Rexall Place, but there was hardly anything about the Octane to fuel controversy.

The 19-member team of women aged 18 to 29 were officially introduced after the first period when most fans had left their seats.

Dressed in outfits that resembled Oilers retro jerseys with short skirts and white knee-high boots, the cheerleading squad was only seen twice more, dancing separately at entrances to the seating area during the second period and then on the video screen during the second intermission doing a routine on the concourse.

The debut went almost completely unnoticed by the players themselves.

"I didn't pay attention," said Oilers rookie Jordan Eberle. "To be honest it doesn't really affect us. I didn't even know we were doing it until someone asked me about it earlier today. It's really not a big deal."

When the cheer team, which also helped out with in-game promotions, was first announced earlier this season, Oilers president Patrick LaForge said it would "enhance the in-game experience."

Cheerleaders already existed in 23 NHL arenas but Edmonton is the first team north of the border to start a squad.

More than 100 candidates tried out for the Octane, who have trained for the past six weeks.

"Since announcing the creation of the first-ever Canadian NHL Cheer Team, we've received tremendous interest from the dance, cheer and gymnastics communities across Oil Country," said Allan Watt, Oilers vice-president communications and broadcast.

In addition to performing at Oilers home games, the Octane will take part in charity fund raising and have a calendar that will be available later this month.

Taken from:
http://www.metronews.ca/ottawa/sports/a ... igh-octane
Cheers,
Kings
Canadian Web Hosting
Kings
CWH Staff

Re: First Canadian Hockey Team with Cheerleaders

Postby Alan » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:02 pm

Got vids!

Oilers Octane

Alan

Postby jeffcm » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:10 pm

haha I like that photo. Priceless moment for looking "backward" :D
jeffcm
CWH Staff

Postby bigguy » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:20 pm

I don't think it's needed but maybe that's because there have never been cheerleaders for hockey before.
bigguy

Return to The Lounge