PHP versions

PHP versions

Postby admiral » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:34 am

Hi all

I just recently set up a new web site with CWH. So far so good.
I am the admin for the site.
We decided to use a php wrapper around XML data to load each page.
I checked out the PHP environment on my site with the following script.

Code: Select all
<?php

// Show all information, defaults to INFO_ALL
phpinfo();

?>

To my chagrin the version is 5.2.17.
Given that 5.3.8 released in Aug is the current version and 5.3.x has been around for
about 2 years I want to know what problems people have had.

The site I am running works but I am concerned with unpatched exploits in such old code.

Any one else has any issues with this.
admiral

Re: PHP versions

Postby jeffrey » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:27 am

Hello,

PHP 5.2.17 is the most latest release in the PHP 5.2 tree. There are several deprecated functions in PHP 5.3 and so not all PHP 5.2 sites will work properly with PHP 5.3. That is why we haven't upgraded existing servers.

However, we do have a new server that is running PHP 5.3. If you need PHP 5.3 just send a request to our technical support department (support@canadianwebhosting.com) and we shall move your account to this server at no extra charge.

Warm Regards,
Jeffrey
Canadian Web Hosting
jeffrey

Postby pagestep » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:46 am

Despite applying several patches to take care of functions deprecated in PHP v5.3, a highly customized osCommerce v2.2-MS2 site I host at CWH breaks completely under PHP v5.3. There is definitely something else in 5.3 that affects osC. :? If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears. Thanks.
pagestep

Postby felicelam » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:21 pm

We'd need to investigate your inquiry with more details, so if you're still experiencing that issue, please email us at your convenience at support@canadianwebhosting.com and we'll be able to take care of you further. Thanks for using our forum. We really appreciate it.
felicelam

Postby pagestep » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:07 pm

felicelam wrote:We'd need to investigate your inquiry with more details, so if you're still experiencing that issue, please email us at your convenience at support@canadianwebhosting.com and we'll be able to take care of you further. Thanks for using our forum. We really appreciate it.

Thank you for that, but I've managed to get osCommerce running on PHP 5.3.

My apologies to everyone; I did this a while ago, but have been so busy with other projects, I forgot to post about it here.

Anyway, here are the notes I made, though please note that they may be incomplete:

Getting osCommerce to run under PHP 5.3:
Manually applied all patches for MySQL 5.0 compatibility. This was done through an osC contribution which does not appear to be available via the osC site any more, but I found notes for it at:
http://www.oscommerce.com/ext/update-20060817.txt

Manually applied all patches according to the 4 July 2010 file (osCommerce_RC2a_PHP_5.3 V2.1.1.zip) available at:
http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,7394

Manually updated session functions according to:
http://forums.oscommerce.com/topic/381320-since-were-updating-deprecated-session-and-ereg-solutions/

Manually replaced all occurrences of:
$HTTP_GET_VARS with $_GET
$HTTP_POST_VARS with $_POST
$HTTP_COOKIES with $_COOKIES
Note: All instances in functions that declared them as global were commented out.

Please also note that this osC installation is very heavily modified, so there are numerous other, minor tweaks I had to apply while getting osCommerce v2.2-MS2 to work with MySQL 5 and PHP 5.3.

Hope this is at least of a little help to others trying to get osC to behave with later versions of MySQL and PHP.
Dirk
pagestep

Return to PHP