Uploaded files are not available from public web site?

General help with installation, scripts, etc....

Uploaded files are not available from public web site?

Postby jtruco » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:52 am

Hi,

I'm working on a website hosted on your servers.

If I upload a new file (like "indexx.php"), either in "public_html" or in "www" folders (obviously the second one is an alias to the first), the file is not available from the public web site : www.mydomain.com/indexx.php will return a 404 error.

More : if I modify one of the existing files, the modifications are not visible in the web browser!

Did I miss something, or is there a "caching" process hidden somewhere preventing me from updating the website?

Many thanks for your kind attention, my client is getting a bit nervous and would like his new website to be online asap...
jtruco

Postby jtruco » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:58 am

I finally fixed it...

Here is the fix : in my FTP software, I used the IP address of the server to log onto it.
Now I've set up the domain name instead, and it WORKS!!

What I don't really understand is why I could actually connect using the IP (I could log and see files, and even upload new files!)... Sounds strange to me.

Any way, it works now! Yeepeee!
jtruco

Postby Fabin » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:08 pm

This could be because your domain sometimes got moved to a new server due to performance reasons. So in that case your IP will change.

If you are in a shared hosting plan ( basic and starter plans ) it is better to use domain name instead of IP address.
Fabin
CWH Staff

Return to General Help