MySQL ODBC driver

General help with installation, scripts, etc....

MySQL ODBC driver

Postby rickglasel » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:24 pm

I'm trying to use MySQL's ODBC driver vers. 3.51 from Microsoft Access on my local machine, and I keep getting an error message saying that I couldn't open the database. I set server name to "localhost", the database name is in the "username_databasename" format and the database user is in the "username_user" format. My PHP scripts work, but am I missing something when I try to use ODBC to connect to my MySQL databases?
rickglasel

ODBC

Postby wkelly » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:38 pm

Hello,

Because your php scripts are running directly on your webserver, they are able to connect to the mysql database running on that server (localhost). When using the 'localhost' directory with Access through ODBC, access will attempt to connect to your local (windows) machine rather than attempting to connect over the network.

In order to use the Mysql ODBC drivers, you will need a mysql instance that is listening for remote connections and a username and password set up with appropriate credentials to log in from your ip address. By default, I do not believe that either of these conditions are met, but I am sure Canadian Web Hosting can tell you better than I!

Will Kelly
wkelly

Postby kevin » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:58 pm

Hi,

Check this article to connect remotely to the database from your home computer:

http://helpdesk.canadianwebhosting.com/ ... ot=9&id=86
kevin
CWH Staff

Postby rickglasel » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:09 pm

Well, I changed "localhost" to my domain name in the ODBC driver configuration, set up the IP address I'm connecting to the internet at for "Access Hosts" in MySQL Database maintenance in CPanel and I got the following error message when I tested the ODBC connection: "Access denied for user xxxxxx_xxxx@216-197-172-124.sktn.hsdb.sasknet.sk.ca (Using password: YES)". I then set up "Access hosts" for the server name in the error message above, and I got the same error message back. The actual user name represented by "xxxxxx_xxxx" above is set up as a user with full privileges for the database I'm trying to access.

Thanks for your previous response and I welcome any suggestions you might have to connect remotely to my databases.
rickglasel

Postby rickglasel » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:24 pm

Please ignore my last post, I deleted the database users, created them again, went back to the ODBC driver and this time I got connected. In the process of trying a number of different things, I must have changed passwords or something. Thanks for your help!
rickglasel

MySQL access

Postby okwebcast » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:44 pm

Hello:

I am trying to connect to mysql on my CWH dedicated server using the MySQL ODBC connector version 5x.

I have not been successful when clicking "test". I've tried using the server name, the ip address, and the domain name in question, and both the domain cpanel user name and the domain mysql user name, and none work.

I have followed the instructions here:
http://helpdesk.canadianwebhosting.com/ ... ot=9&id=86

and added my current ip address to access the data on the server, both in the domain's cpanel and in the server's WHM.

Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Any ideas where to look?

Thanks.
okwebcast

Postby tony » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:32 pm

I think best to send a support ticket with the details and we can help you from there.
tony
CWH Staff

Return to General Help