Firewall - Geo IP support

This is the place to ask before signup up!
Anyone can post

Firewall - Geo IP support

Postby BPR » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:04 pm

I have had the unfortunate experience of having several of my websites attacked frequently, and occaisionally successfully 'hacked' ... in nearly all of these case the attacks were launched and directed from non-english speaking countries.

I would like to be able to use a Geo IP generated blacklist to restrict access to my websites to ONLY english speaking countries, and some of them to ONLY USA & Canada.

Do you have a facility to allow me to enforce this kind of access restriction?
BPR

Re: Firewall - Geo IP support

Postby Kings » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:17 pm

Hi BPR,

Unfortunately the control panels we work with (cPanel and Plesk) would not be able to restrict access based on Geo IPs. You would need some sort of application or service to determine all of the IPs from the specific countries you want to restrict and add those IPs into the restricted list or firewall.

Cheers,
Kings
Canadian Web Hosting
Cheers,
Kings
Canadian Web Hosting
Kings
CWH Staff

Postby BPR » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:04 pm

Where can I learn more about any (maybe all) of the firewall implementations that are available to Linux VPS users?

Is the firewall a separate hardware device or implemented as a Linux function / program?
BPR

Postby Aaron keefe » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:58 pm

Hi,

The VPS will not support hardware firewalls. What we normally recommend for VPS users is a software firewall like CSF.

--
http://configserver.com/cp/csf.html
--

If you are looking for an advanced option we recommend you to use web application firewall. WAF will act like a IPS/IDS and will provide more security to your server. WAF also has option to block IP addresses country wise. You can know more about this in following URL.

--
http://canadianwebhosting.com/webservic ... nfirewall/
--

Regards,
Aaron keefe
canadianwebhosting
Aaron keefe

Return to Pre-Sales Questions