Reliable email?

This is the place to ask before signup up!
Anyone can post

Reliable email?

Postby lemongrassdog » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:32 pm

Hi,

Is it possible to have a web host/plan that guarantees no lost incoming emails, even during website downtime? I don't mind some delayed emails, but I can't stand that emails are lost forever if they're sent to me during a time when my website is down (using my current crappy provider).

Thanks,
Ali
lemongrassdog

Postby Kings » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:52 pm

Hi Ali,

Unfortunately in most cases there is no way to guarantee that you will not lose any email if your website is down because your website might go down for different reasons (ie. expired domain name, server problems, content related problems etc.). Your web service and email service are generally handled by the same server so if it is a server related problem, it could affect both services.

We do however offer a solution that would seperate your web and email service. It is called Hosted Exchange. The Hosted Exchange service handles your email on a seperate Exchange server so it will not be on the same server as your website. This will reduce the chances of both services being unavailable at the same time.

For more information regarding Hosted Exchange please visit our website.

:)
Kings
CWH Staff

Postby tony » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:25 pm

Lost emails have a number of causes that maybe outside the control of Canadian Web Hosting. It can be filtered by aggressive spam filters, it can get lost during transit from one relay server to the next. This is the nature of emails.

Just to note one point about servers going down, even if your server goes down, it does not mean you will lose email. The sending server, will detect the unavailable server and will retry when the retry timer is reached. It varies from host to host, but eventually your email will be delivered when you server is up and running again.

Hope this answers your question.
tony
CWH Staff

Thanks

Postby kalenjast » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:07 am

Thanks for this nice information about reliable mail.
kalenjast

Return to Pre-Sales Questions