allowing clients FTP file access

allowing clients FTP file access

Postby outsider » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:37 pm

Hello,

I want to know if it is possible to allow my clients FTP access to files residing on the CWH server under the following circumstances. What I am proposing is for clients to retrieve files from a folder in my account using the following script instruction:

filename = .RetrieveFileFromInternet(URL, [userid], [userpassword], [passiveconnection], [proxyserver], [proxyport], [proxytype])

This instruction, rendered in object code format, would be invoked from within a spreadsheet program that resides on a client's computer.

Am I correct in assuming that the URL to use in this situation is
ftp://user@mydomainname:password@mydomainname
where "user" is simply the name I would have chosen for a sub-domain (root folder) having virtual FTP account access, and "password" is the FTP password for the sub-domain ?

All the remaining parameters in the above instruction are considered optional, so I'm assuming they can be ignored.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Regards,

outsider
outsider

Re: allowing clients FTP file access

Postby Ray » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:24 pm

The URL syntax for FTP is correct : ftp://user@mydomainname:password@mydomainname.com
There should be a valid FTP user like user@mydomainname existing for the domain 'mydomainname.com'.

The other query on script (regarding the use of proxy variables) is not clear. Please open a support ticket for the same to support@canadianwebhosting.com .
Ray
Ray

Return to FTP