Amazon S3 CNAME

General help with installation, scripts, etc....

Amazon S3 CNAME

Postby magic_man64 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:08 am

Hey guys,

Im on shared linux, and looking to move my static assets to S3 to save on bandwidth.

Curious if anyone has successfully setup a CNAME record to work with S3.

Heres what I did:

Goto cPanel > Domains > Simple DNS Zone Editor.

Under Add CNAME record:
Name: s3.radmediaco.com
CNAME: s3.radmediaco.com.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com

s3.radmediaco.com is the same name as the bucket I created with Amazon S3. I have configured the bucket to be a "static website". However, when accessing s3.radmediaco.com it gives me a page Cannot Find Server in Safari. Where as accessing the full, long name of s3.radmediaco.com.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com DOES successfully connect. Am I missing something? Has anyone else successfully set this up? Does it take some time for this to propogate?
magic_man64

Re: Amazon S3 CNAME

Postby luke » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:13 pm

Hi,

I see that you have properly added CNAME for s3.radmediaco.com as per the instructions from Amazon. When we perform a DNS query test for s3.radmediaco.com, it is properly pointing to the Amazon server.

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;s3.radmediaco.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
s3.radmediaco.com. 14394 IN CNAME s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com.
s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com. 55 IN A 72.21.214.141

Aslo, from my end, when I take 's3.radmediaco.com' in browser it redirects to 'http://www.radmediaco.com/' , same as '3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com'.

If you find any errors with this, you will have to contact Amazon to check if there are any misconfiguration on their end.
luke

Return to General Help